Nationwide Group Responsible Lending Statement
The Mortgage Works (TMW) is the specialist lender of Nationwide Building Society. Nationwide and TMW are committed to being a responsible lender who acts in the best interests of your clients. This means we have a responsibility to be open and honest, and to treat your clients fairly. These commitments underpin everything we do and the way we lend money is no exception.
Our Responsible Lending customer commitments are described below. These explain what you can expect from Nationwide and TMW when you apply for a mortgage with us or when you request a variation to an existing mortgage.
Please remember that our leaflet ‘How The Mortgage Works and Nationwide use your information’ explains how we use personal information. Please read this carefully. If you’ve got any questions please get in touch and we’ll be happy to help.
What you can expect from us as a responsible lender when applying for a mortgage:
In return, what we ask of you:
- Provide accurate and complete information on your client's application, particularly with reference to any information that may impact our assessment of affordability.
- Regularly assess their borrowing and other financial commitments. To contact us as soon as possible if they're experiencing, or expect to experience, any financial difficulties.
- Read and understand the terms and conditions on which the money is borrowed, seeking further information and help if needed.
- Ensure you and your client are comfortable with the level of borrowing requested (up to the maximum we'll lend based on our own assessment).
- Ensure they have the means to repay the loan at the end of the agreed term if any borrowing is on an Interest Only basis.